Winter 2019 Farm Internship (full-time, paid, 6-month)
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach? Have you ever found yourself fascinated with all things inter and sub tidal?
Hama Hama Company is a 5th-generation family-run shellfish and tree farm on Washington’s Olympic Peninsula. Our oysters are synonymous with quality and are served in esteemed restaurants nationwide. We take great pride in our product and in this beautiful place where we live and work. We are looking for positive, self-motivated individuals who are interested in learning about and working in the shellfish industry. No experience with shellfish aquaculture is required. Individuals will learn a variety of aspects of working on an oyster farm.
- Learn what characterizes a great oyster and how to sort oysters by size and quality
- Learn techniques for farming different oyster species in a variety of locations with multiple growing methods
- Assist with general maintenance and cleaning tasks
- Learn how to care for oyster seed and FLUPSY (oyster nursery) best practices
- Participate in the harvesting process
- Become familiar with operating boats and other farm-related equipment (please let us know if you have experience with boats, forklifts, or driving box trucks)
- Help to develop and implement farm research and development project
- Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends and nights to accommodate the tide schedule
- Enjoy working outdoors, and be comfortable working outdoors in inclement conditions, including a marine environment
- Have a knowledge and interest in shellfish cultivation
- This is an active job and applicants should be able to lift 40 pounds without difficulty and be able to work in a physically challenging environment
- Must have good communication skills
- Applicants must also have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
Compensation: $15.00 per hour + accommodation (Accommodations may include shared intern housing. Each intern would have their own bedroom)
When: Start date is flexible (Oct - Nov 2019), and the internship ends in March, 2020.
Where: Farms: Lower Hadlock, Discovery Bay, and Hama Hama headquarters in Lilliwaup, WA. Nursery work in Shelton Washington.
To apply: please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by Friday, October 18, 2019. For additional info, visit our website at hamahamaoysters.com. Hama Hama Company is an equal opportunity employer.